October 29, 2003

Lab Rat for Hire

(from an unfinished essay I started months ago)

In "Pretty Woman," Julia Roberts plays a hooker who tells Richard Gere she has one restriction: "No kissing." Everyone has their "no kissing." Mine is being injected with radiated dye.

Which is a choice that, during a brief stint as a lab rat for hire (Have Vein, Will Travel), I came across often. The higher pay for these studies reminded me not of a great opportunity but hazard pay, and that's where I had to draw a courageous line: no radiation or radiation-related products, including "radiated cookies" and "Dr. Spock’s Radiated Fun Time Machine."

Radiated dye inspired a gruesome fantasy of Al Sharpton protesting outside the hospital I’m incapacitated in, shouting, "If the dye is harmless, why is he armless?" and "This is a nation, not a radiation." I have eaten more than my share of Twinkies as a child. Enough is enough.

No comments: