October 29, 2003

From the WP String Theory Discussion

I was trying to get a Pancake City online store (through CafePress) up by 4:00, but I'm too brain dead to come up with good ideas. My two ideas so far are this (which has probably been done before) and a shirt that says "Preachers Like To Thump It."

This question in the chat made me laugh:

Normal, Ill.: Why do the strings, the fundamental elements of matter and energy, vibrate in the first place? Does something induce an outside force which makes them them vibrate, or do they will themselves into vibration, because I want to know how to make myself vibrate.

Jim Gates: Hi,

The short answer to this question is that the laws of
quantum theory demand that superstrings vibrate. So
it is not necessary for any outside agency to "cause"
the vibration.

No comments: