October 23, 2004

Get Quick Rich Schemes

Get Quick Rich schemes are an evil combination of greed and laziness. In spite of my exemplary laziness, I've stayed away from them not because of the likely possibility I'll lose much more money than I started with, but because I'm content with driving a dented car, wearing faded slacks, and a TV that doesn't get clear reception of Channel 4 when there is too much electromagnetic interference around, such as people wearing socks.

But the austere lifestyle has slowly shifted from frugal to restrictive, and I'd like to go into a restaurant and not worry about ordering a Coke over a water because of the extra $1.59. Scratch that. I'm fine with water. I'd just like to be able to eat at a restaurant without thinking: "I just spent my share of the cable bill."

The solution is obvious for any enterprising individual: either get a second job, hunt for freelance work, or find a full-time job that pays better than dog walking.

Then there's my solution: Get Rich Quick schemes.

Online betting. Ponzi schemes. Ebay selling. I'm going to try it all.

My gut tells me this is one of the worst ideas in my life. My brain is telling me that too, and I'm sure my family and my friends, all reasonable people, will concur.

But hey. It's my right to live my life as stupidly as possible. And, considering my incredible laziness, there really is no other option. If you think I'm going to spend 15 minutes on a job application when I can spend 30 minutes browsing the web for free offers, you're crazy.

Plus, if I fail, it will at least be entertaining to read about.

No comments: