October 26, 2004

Gore Will Get Crushed

Before blogging software came into being, I had a web site for several weeks late in 2000. I found my archives on an old 1.44 mb disk and thought I would share my Nov. 1 entry with you:

As much as I want Gore to win, reality is staring me in the face. He's going to lose by a landslide tomorrow.

My sad conclusion is based on two things:

1) The Weekly Reader, a periodical for kids and teens, runs a mock election where kids vote on who they want to be the next President. They've picked the correct winner in almost every election in the past 50 years. The results just came out today, and they do not look good for Gore:
  • Bush 65.8 percent -- all states (except Delaware) and Washington D.C.
  • Gore 32.6 percent -- Delaware
2) A well-respected poll aggregate site, Real Clear Politics, have released their final analysis on the expected electoral college totals for Bush and Gore. Based on their expertise and insight, they have Bush winning 446 electoral votes, and Gore winning 92. Just to cite one of their sobering conclusions:
  • The real debate is not who is going to win the election, but whether Bush will win 308 electoral votes or 474 electoral votes. The media's fantasy of Bush winning the popular vote and losing the electoral college is not going happen. The worst case scenario for a Bush victory will be a 2-3 point win in the popular vote and 10-20% more than the necessary 270 EC votes.

I don't know what to say. I'm completely demoralized and crushed. I'm not even too sure I'm going to get up tomorrow to vote.

No comments: