June 25, 2003

Dream

I'm calling in my dream chip today, the once-a-season chip I give myself for a self-indulgent post about my dreams, an infinitely interesting subject to myself, and a likely infinitely uninteresting subject to everyone else.

Have you ever waken up form a dream, and then after something freaky happened realized you were still in a dream? That happened to me five times in succession this morning. It was like entering parallel Universes of my life where the main events were the same but the details varied. The programs on my computer were different. A telemarketer called in two of the dreams and offered me a job (different job in each dream). In the second dream, he asked, "Did I talk to you before?" And, among other themes, I kept on waking up late for an appointment I had that day, albeit at different times in each dream.

Each time I "woke up", I caught on quicker that I was still dreaming, at which point I would try to get out of it. Nothing I did worked. In the last dream, I was almost hysterical. I pleaded with my sister Michele to help me get out. She said, "Don't worry, just listen to this record." "What is the record supposed to do?" "Don't worry. Just listen to it." She put on a record by Belle and Sebastian. After a few seconds, I got drowsy and closed my eyes. When I tried to open my eyes again, I had to force them open, and when I did, I was finally awake.

No comments: