August 12, 2003

Another Reason I Love My Mom

I ate dinner with my Mom tonight. She made soy-marinated fish and a bowl of pesto. Afterwards, we talked about work and death. Her mother passed away last week, and a few days ago, she started a potentially permanent position in the FDA that has more pay and responsibility than the one she is on leave for.

You know how there are a few thoughts that are more difficult to share than others? I hesitated before I told her this: I worry a lot that people I love will suddenly die. My mom reassured me in a way that only she could:

MOM: "Don’t worry. I’m not planning on dying. I just got a promotion."

Mom, thank you for being such a nut.

(Afterwards, when I asked if I could write about this on my web page, she clapped her hands and said: "Yes! I’m going to be famous!")

No comments: