March 22, 2005

How Bad Is "The Rock"?

My sister, Michele, recently joined Netflix, which allows you to see movie ratings from your friends and family.

She saw that I had rated "The Rock", an action movie starring Sean Connery and Nicholas Cage in the same way that my balls are starring in my nutsack. Many years ago, we had watched the movie along with my other sister, Tina. Our mom's boyfriend at the time, who loved the movie, brought it over on tape. After suffering through an hour and a half of the movie and threatening to turn it off several times, the tape runs out five minutes before the end. We screamed. It remains one of our most searing examples in our lives of the psychological necessity for closure.

Lest you think I am exaggerating about the horror this movie inflicted upon our psyches, after Michele found out I had rated the movie (two stars), she called and left a worried message. She was worried, without irony, that in a fit of forgetfulness I had rented the movie again.

"The Rock" generated the same reaction from my sister as if I were a former alcoholic and she found out I had gone drinking over the weekend. Now that's a bad movie.

6 comments:

Mitch said...

Have you seen Little Shop of Horrors?

Anonymous said...

Jason, don't you have to leave a birthday message for someone.

Jason said...

Dear "Anonymous",

YOU DO NO GET A WHOLE WEEK OF BIRTHDAY POSTS! You get one day, on your birthday, which isn't even occuring in this week.

Anonymous said...

birthday week birthday week, birthday week, birthday week.

I will give you 10 hours to start the birthday week. If not, I will post stories about your past....my version of the stories!!!!

Anonymous said...

"She saw that I had rated "The Rock", an action movie starring Sean Connery and Nicholas Cage in the same way that my balls are starring in my nutsack."

This is an extremely wonderful line. But I've quite enjoyed "The Rock" every time I've seen it (twice).

Jason said...

I have seen Little Shop of Horrors. That, and Howard the Duck, are the two movies that caused my family to ban me from renting movies for the family for over ten years. They forgave me when I was 23. The Deepak Chopra books on forgiveness I gave them every Christmas finally came through.