October 29, 2007

What Are Your Top Three Podcasts?

If you could only listen to three podcasts, which ones would they be? Post your answer in a comment.

My favorite podcast is This American Life. A very close and less well-known second is WYNC's Radio Lab. The show picks a broad subject like morality and digs up interesting scientific studies or stories about the topic. One of the hosts is Robert Krulwich, who seems to make an amazing use of whatever medium he is in.

I don't have a clear third, which is part of the reason why I'm asking this question. The rest of the podcasts I listen to are entertaining but on a lower tier. If I had to pick one though, it would be Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me, NPR's comedy news program.

7 comments:

Chip Chanko said...

All Songs Considered,
KCRW's The Treatment,
and They Might Be Giant's podcast.

Other contenders: Engadget, The Jack Benny Podcast, The Concert (classical concerts from the Gardner museum in Boston).

Jason said...

I like ASC a lot. I will check out The Treatment--haven't heard of it.

Anonymous said...

This American Life podcast rules. The Penn Jillette podcast is good too. The radio show doesn't play anymore but I find the old ones entertaining.

-Bart

Jason said...

Thank you, pale imitation of Kate.

betakate said...

Actual Kate agrees with Jason's top two, and adds The Skeptics Guide to the Universe. Also, the SCIAM podcast is pretty great. I think Steve Mirsky is a trip.

McKenzie said...

Does it need to be said that I agree with your two podcasts? Nah, probably not. But I'll add three additional:

NPR's StoryCorps (sappy, but hey - I like that kind of thing)
and...are you ready for this - the next two are actually NOT NPR...

National Geographic Worldtalk and Science Talk - from Scientific American podcast.

Jason said...

I don't understand. What is this "not NPR"? Is it like Bizarro Earth?

I will give Science Talk another try.

I listened to The Treatment + the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe. I liked them both. Elvis Costello is a good interviewer--he asks good q's and stays out of the way.

I listened to 2 episodes of Skeptics, one I liked a lot, the other was so-so. Interesting enough to listen to a few more episodes at least.