February 07, 2005

On the back of bottles of Liquid-Plumr:

TO DISPOSE: Offer empty container for recycling. If recycling is not available, discard container in trash.


***
CUSTOMER SERVICE: "Liquid-Plumr. How can I help you?"

PERSON: Hi. What exactly do you mean by "offer empty container for recycling"?
CS: It means you can put it in your recycling container, if you have one.
PERSON: So that's an ix-nay on placing it outside on a pile of mulch, surrounded by a circle of candles, and smearing the blood of a sacrificial goat upon your naked body while you chant a paean to Kronos, God of recycling, as part of an effort for him to accept your humble offering?
CS: Yeah.

***
CUSTOMER SERVICE: "Liquid-Plumr. How can I--"
PERSON: "Hi. Me again. I tried discarding container in trash, but my trashcan won't take it."
CS: "It won't 'take it'?"
PERSON: "Well, it doesn't have an opening, so I threw the container at it and it bounced off the top."
CS: "Is the lid open?"
PERSON: "The lid! Yes. It all makes sense now. You've unclogged my brain AND my drain."

***
CS: "Liquid-Plumr. How can I help you?"
PERSON: "What happened to the B? Is Liquid-Plumrrr drunk?"
[click]
PERSON: "Is that a dial tone, or are you slurring an 'O'?"

***
CS: "Liquid-Plumr."
PERSON: "Have we spoke before?"
CS: "No. I just started today."
PERSON: "Excellent. I have a suggestion. On the back of the bottle, the directions say, "If recycling is not available, discard container in trash." Discard is a harsh word. It batters a container's fragile self-esteem at a delicate point in his life when he is wrestling with the question, "Now what?" That's why you should change the wording to "promote container to trash." Give them hope. Let them know that, whatever path life next takes them, it can be just as rich and fulfilling as unclogging hair out of drains."
CS: "Is this a joke?"
PERSON: "You got me. This is Ron from finance."
CS: "Ha ha! I knew it."
PERSON: "Ha ha! Kidding aside, I have some bad news. You're fired."

No comments: