November 08, 2004

The Five Stages of Grief

As they relate to the election.

Denial
I can't fucking believe this.

Anger
What the fuck is wrong with people?

Bargaining
I promise to be happy that Bush won if he promises to stop being such a fuck-up.

Depression
We're so fucking screwed.

Acceptance
I'm moving to Canada.

***

I am struck by how many people seized on Elizabeth Kubler-Ross' "Five Stages of Grief" to deal with the aftershock of the election.

Kubler-Ross proposed the stages in her 1969 book "
On Death and Dying" as a description of the process terminally ill patients go through in accepting their illnesses. The stages quickly metamorphized and entered pop culture as an outline of the way people handle grief in their own lives.

For me, the stages aren't distinct segments that I go through and move on, never to return. They're more like favorite restaurants I revisit repeatedly, some more than others because Denial and Anger run coupons in The Washington Post often and the maitre'd at Acceptance Lounge and Piano Bar hates me ever since the last time I visited.

What happened is that the restaurant was closing, and the maitre'd came over and said in a snide voice, "If you need to be reminded what types of payment the establishment accepts, I will be happy to refresh your memory." I got up from my table and responded: "That won't be necessary. I got something you can accept: a punch in the stomach."

The maitre'd wailed. "What are you doing?" I cocked my fist. "It's called a mandate...for kicking your ass." I punched him a few more times and then walked about the door.

So it will be a while until I can visit there again. But isn't America awesome?

No comments: