July 10, 2003

The Bat Cave

I went to the open mike at “The Bat Cave” at the DC Arts Center today. Once a month, a lovely woman named Dee Synder (she introduced herself as just “Dee”, which threw me off because I was expecting "Dee Dee" and I kept waiting) runs a free-for-all session where almost anything goes—stand up comedy, serious poetry, acoustic music… Okay, that’s not almost anything, but it’s a few pant sizes wider than most open mikes.

The audience (about 15 people today) is supportive and the atmosphere is very low key. Anyone in the D.C. area who has thought of doing any type of performing should give it a try. It’s a good, low-stakes way of gaining experience. More info here.

I tried a few new jokes and read Lying About Robots College, an essay I wrote months ago. The new jokes went great, but the essay only received chuckles. I’m chalking it up as an example of something that's funnier read than spoken (you’re welcome to tell me it’s not funny read either).

Next month, I’m going to either do stand up or write something specifically to be spoken. If you’re interested in either watching or performing in the show, send me an email and we can meet up.

No comments: