September 22, 2003

And I Could Have Gotten 60 Clothes Hangers at the Dollar Store

Since I so publicly called Isabel--what was it, oh yes--a pussy, and bet my Mom five dollars its effect would be no worse than a severe thunderstorm for D.C., I'm due to say that I was absolutely, completely wrong. Many people are still without power, and Fairfax County water was only recently declared safe for drinking. Mom, you win five dollars, and I'm glad my trash-talking mouth didn't add a 'ty' to the amount when we made the bet.

Having said that, you know the idea that you "create your own reality"? I am now a believer. Contrary to houses in surrounding areas, my townhouse never lost power, our water remained untainted, our virgins unspoiled, and few branches fell in thine neighborhood. And perhaps all because I denied the power of this tropical storm in the face of all reasons. In other words, it was worth the $5. And now I know what it feels like to be a creationist.

No comments: