July 30, 2003

Tonight's Peformance Magically Cancelled

I'm skipping WiseAcres tonight. On an unrelated note, my sister Michele brought home the new Harry Potter book. I'm not supposed to tell anyone since she promised Tina, sister #2, that she would get it first. But Tina never reads my web page, so I'll be able to finish it in the next two days and she'll never know. Assuming I don't call Tina and read the first page to her over the phone. Which would be a very bad assumption to make.

My decision to skip WiseAcres actually has nothing to do with Harry Potter. Last night, my act--five minutes of me saying non-sequiturs in the voice of George Washington--bombed. It turns out, predominately black audiences don't like dead slave owners talking to them. Who'd had thunk?

It turns out white families don't like G.W. jokes either. I did my routine in front of my family. They had to open the windows to let out the stink. In the words of Michele: "This sucks! And we're your family."

So the G.W. stuff is permanently buried, I'm putting my experimental comedy phase on pause, and working on a normal routine. I have no regret about doing this. It's too frustrating going up again and again and getting no laughs.

No comments: