March 21, 2003

Move Over Titanic

It's not looking good for Boat Trip, the new Cuba Gooding Jr. movie about a man who accidentally goes on a gay cruise. (Gay sailboat I can believe, but a whole cruise?) You know how most movie ads put the name of the reviewer by his or her blurb about the movie? Boat Trip uses footnotes. Among the tiny-type reviewers: "Hula" (KHTS-FM San Diego), "Jah-T" (WUSL Philadelphia), and "Earl Dittman" (Wireless Magazines). Earl, who always loves a good gay boat movie, was quoted twice.

This is still better than a practice I saw several months ago, where a marketer tried to make his own copy look like a rave from a movie review by putting it in quotes. "You've got to see this movie!" That was it. Did the technique propel "Battlefield Earth" to a #1 hit? Only time will tell. (TIME: "No!")

If I were a movie marketer, I'd find someone in America with the name Roger Ebert and pay him to give a good review. "What a great movie! I have two thumbs!"

No comments: