May 30, 2007

What is Systematic Torture?

Is it worse than old-fashioned, seat-of-the-pants torture? If I'm ever tortured (it's a possibility--I'm visiting Canada soon and have bushy eyebrows), I'd feel more comfortable with a systematic torture program. Perhaps this speaks to my lack of faith in man, but I'm not sure your average torturer is going to know what to do with a toaster and a bucket of water without a manual.

I hear the term often, most recently regarding a news report on an ACLU lawsuit against the U.S. government. What does it mean to we live in a time where accusations of "ordinary" torture isn't shocking enough to grab our attention? When did torture become vanilla?

One could argue this is just the natural radicalization of language in a saturated media environment where subtlety and understatement tend to be drowned out by competitors for attention. But I think it speaks to something else, a new comfort with the language, images, and idea of torture. Ten years ago, can you imagine our reaction to a news report that the government is arresting U.S. citizens and extraditing them to another country, without trial or being accused of a crime, all to avoid public scrutiny and violating U.S. law?

Yet today torture appears regularly in action movies, and TV shows like 24 and Lost. I've seen comic strips on torture and Daily Show bits on the subject. I am not saying we are insensitive to the subject. Most comedy has satirized the U.S. government's use of torture, not make light of the act. Yet I find it sad how pervasive the concept of torture is today in the public conscious. I suspect even after our government cleans up is act, a lingering familiarity with the idea of torture will remain, another small stain on our minds.

No comments: