January 25, 2004

Minibosses

I suspect the band Minibosses provoke one of two reactions: "Huh?" and "That's totally awesome." Put me down for the second one. The band almost solely performs music from old Nintendo games. Electric guitars and drums give life to the poppy beats of Mega Man, the infectious theme of Zelda, and even unusual choices like a tune from Mike Tyson's Punch-Out. Remember how pressing Select made Doc rub Little Mac's shoulder faster and restored his life? And if you hit the old man in Zelda the fire would shoot an energy ball at you? And…

That's why I like their music. A combination of spending much of my childhood playing video games and the emotions of these memories strong from the lack of exploitation of advertisers makes this a band for me.

You'll have the best luck finding their tunes on a file-sharing service like Kazaa. Wired has an article on them in its February issue (not online yet).

No comments: