January 21, 2004

Bathroom Poll, II

I'm surprised a few people answered the poll already. Thank you.

Why I asked the question: until recently, I locked my bathroom door. It was out of a fear that...well, that's why I stopped. I asked myself what I was afraid of and I couldn't think of anything reasonable. Fear that a family member would walk in on me, fear that a roommate would, fear that a crazed killer would attack me while my fiber-deficient intestinal track tries to pass punctuation marks into a sea with no sentences.

I can't pinpoint why I once locked the bathroom door, but something about leaving it unlocked threatened my sense of safety. And the habit got me thinking. What does it mean to lock one's door?

Is it a decision that reflects the amount of fear in one's life? If it isn't, then why do some people do it, and some people don't? Are people more worried about terrorism than other issues more likely to vote for Bush? If so, do they lock their bathroom doors?

The answers: yes, n/a, yes, and yes. Also, 3:2 odds that whether you lock your bathroom door or not, your family members share the same habit.

No comments: