November 09, 2006

Random Election Thoughts

* I am thrilled that President Bush fired Donald Rumsfeld. I feel like the Iraq war is at a point where this is the last chance for America to salvage the situation. We need to make many changes in the next few months to have a chance of preventing a full-blown civil war, and the first was firing Rumsfeld and replacing him with someone competent. It gives me hope that the other necessary steps will be taken soon enough to make a difference.

But let us not forget Rummy's wonderful service to the army, the country, and the art of kung fu with this Internet classic.

* Most of the newly-elected Democrats to Congress are moderates. I also sense that many people will be frustrated if there is a lot of political fighting and personal attacks. At the same time, Congress' absolute lack of oversight of the executive branch has been horrible for the country's democracy, and needs to be changed. It's going to be interesting to see how the Democratic party balances legislative progress vs. investigating the executive branch, which may poison the political atmosphere and make it difficult to get veto-proof legislation passed.

* I had other thoughts, but at this point, I've had my fill writing about politics.

No comments: