October 08, 2006

Whoever Said "You Can't Go Home Again"...

...never met me.

I couldn't find a place before my lease ended at the end of September, so I moved in with my Mom for a week or so. Or a month. Or a year. This place is a trap.

The problem with moving in is that, in my old home, I lived in a dingy townhouse with a moderate-sized and cramped common areas. In my Mom's house, I have my sleeping room, my changing room, my storage garage, my storage basement, and my guest room. Tina is visiting for the weekend, and in the spirit of generosity, I decided to let her stay in my changing room rather than my guest room, which, to be honest, doesn't allow one the full range of comfort a guest should expect in another person's home.

My best hope for getting out of here was a few days after I moved in, before my comfort items were unpacked and my Mom's efforts to get me to stay with her by cooking nightly meals for a while took hold.

I know it's not good for me to stay home, but it's easy. I feel like I'm on vacation. Driving 45 min. each way to walk dogs for a few hours is a pain, but I know if I stopped it would just make it easier for me to dilly-dally. I dilly enough as it is in my life. I don't need to dally.

One motivation for moving out is that I'm turning 30 in two months. I really don't want to be living with my Mom when I'm 30. Arbitrary in a way, yes, but if I'm still living with my Mom in two months, I might as well quit my job and dig up a 2005 Holiday Hecht's catalog so she can start dressing me too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No one said "You Can Never Return Home." But Thomas Wolfe said "You can't go home again." Chump.

Jamy said...

Necessity is the mother of invention?

Jason said...

Dear Anonymous,

"No one ever said 'You Can Never Return Home'."

Untrue. I just said it. You just said it. Thomas Wolfe's brother, Byron, said it. He didn't share his brother Thomas' dexterity for language though and missed out a lot of opportunities to be famous.

But thanks for pointing it out. I corrected the quote.