June 05, 2004

If Drugs Were Named After Video Games

"You wanna do some Super Mario? It'll get you real high."

Sometimes I think there is a heavenly battle for my soul. You see, the devil made my roommate buy an XBox. So God steps in and kills the heat sink in the Xbox so my roommate has to return it. So the devil retaliates by not only making my roommate exchange it, but by giving him a two-week project that sucks up all of his free time, and sending my other roommate on a trip for the weekend. God says, "Screw that. I'm going to scratch your "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" disk and I'll scratch the next one if you try to rent it from a different video store." Which I did.

That's where I stand today. To give you some background, and I say this without irony, I have a video game addiction. I have no problem using the word addiction because in the past, there have been moments where I have skipped meals so I wouldn't have to stop, lost interest in my normal activities (like writing for this blog), and thought about a game obsessively when I had to be away from it.

I've gotten much better at handling my bad habits with video and computer games. For the most part, I'm able to stay away from playing them (moderation isn't effective for me) and the few times recently I have caved in and went on a binge, it has been easier for me to stop when I needed to. But at the same time, I'm glad the game is too frustrating to play for long because it is scratched. It makes leaving the house much easier.

No comments: