December 02, 2003

56A: Panana Canal engineer (?)

I need an erudite crossword puzzle partner. Today's puzzle in the Washington Post is a typical example of how I do:

15A: Norwegian saint (4): Um...
16A: Model Macpherson: Elle!
31A: Leb. neighbor (3): Um...
32A: Popeye's nemesis: Bruno!

It's not the case that some of the answers are "on the tip of the tongue" or ready to surface in a blaze of neurological activity once I find out the first letter starts with "T". I just don't know who engineered the Panama Canal. I never knew it. And even if I check the answer key tomorrow, I will only know it for the few seconds before the Bo and Luke Duke brain cells drive up in the General Lee brain cell and fire arrows into its chassy.

That's why I need someone familiar with geography and foreign cultures but not the name of the actor who plays Legolas. A tenacious tag-team that tears through 22 Across (mayor of Tijuana) and the five-letter name for the turtle in Super Mario Bros. A team that can burst through the "where shy flowers stand by at dances (4)" that stops your average fan of crossword puzzles.

Or maybe I should just bug my friends. Anyone know a five-letter word for "Arboreal mammal?"

(Word quiz: What's another name or object longer than "Panama Canal" that alternates between consonants and vowels?)

No comments: