May 06, 2003

Wrong Number

Have you ever received a call from someone with a wrong number who seemed particularly desperate to find the person? I've gotten a few calls like this:
ME: Hello?
CALLER: Is Carmen there?
ME: I'm sorry, you have the wrong number.
CALLER: She's Spanish.
ME: Okay....you still have the wrong number.
CALLER: She's very beautiful. Are you sure she's not there?
ME: Yeah. Sorry. [click]

[15 seconds later]

ME: Hello?
CALLER: Is Carmen there?
ME: She's still not here.
CALLER: Oh. I thought I might have misdialed. [uncomfortable silence] Did Carmen used to live there?
ME: No. Bye. [click]

[15 seconds later]

ME: Hello?
CALLER: Carmen?
ME: Dude, CARMEN IS NOT HERE.
CALLER: I'm sorry. I just...really need to speak to her.
ME: [sigh] Hold on a minute.......
ME [falsetto]: Hello?
CALLER: Carmen, it's you!

No comments: