February 09, 2006

WAMU

Did WAMU blow all its money on crack and strippers?

The local NPR station here in Washington D.C. has been insane during its latest pledge drive. I never thought I would hear Kojo Nnamdi, a fair-minded and soft-spoken man that I admire greatly, say "Please, baby! Just $10. I need it bad." It's just not professional.

I'm used to the different tactics public radio uses to encourage donations: appeals to one's charitable nature, inducements to feel guilty for not giving, reminders of the station's quality programming, offers of donation plans for any income, and so on. But I'm not used to hearing the big man, Kojo, say (quote): "In a way, your relationship with WAMU is like a marriage. And now it's time to consummate the marriage. Call 202..."

To be fair, it was tongue-in-cheek and pretty funny. And WAMU is an awesome station. Who wouldn't want to tap that tower?

No comments: