May 14, 2004

Scene in a Doctor's Office

DOCTOR: I have some bad news.
PATIENT: What? What is it?
DOCTOR: There...there can only be one Highlander.
PATIENT: No. No! You're joking. You have to be.
DOCTOR: I'm sorry. It is difficult news for any man.
PATIENT: Two enters, one leaves. Is that how it is?
DOCTOR: It is the law.
PATIENT: How much time do I have before...
DOCTOR: We should operate as soon as possible.
PATIENT: Dr. Dealgood, is there anything I could have done?
DOCTOR: I don't know. Maybe a regular prostate exam. Maybe healthier eating. But sometimes these things just happen.
PATIENT: Will I feel any pain?
DOCTOR:
Pain is a gauze stretched and twisted around our bodies /
like ribbon and wrap over a last birthday present.
Steel skin and ice, a moon in the shape of a scythe.
Is your heart open? Will you feel pain?
PATIENT: Easy questions for a reaper.
DOCTOR: I prefer surgeon.
PATIENT: A poet would.

No comments: