September 06, 2007

Pluot, Roman Emperor of Fruit

I was in the supermarket with my Mom when I saw a small, dark red and violet fruit new to my eyes. My Mom headed to the pyramid of purplish fruit and began shoveling them into a bag. She moved fast, efficiently filling the bag with a dozen fruit. "Those must be pretty good, Mom." I am probably misremembering the next part of the conversation, because it doesn't make any sense: "I don't know. I've never had them before."

The fruit is a pluot. I know for some of you, I might have well say "I found this new fruit called a 'grape', and boy is it juicy!" But my fruit horizon is narrow. I mostly eat apples and bananas, and only have a vague memory of seeing one before.

The pluot is a hybrid of a plum and an apricot. It's delicious, juicy and sweet on the outside and pleasantly sour on the inside.

Poor name, though. Pluot conjures the image of a little-known Roman emperor, one who lived a short-lived an uneventful life. Or of a shunned planet trying to sneak back in the solar system with a shoddy disguise.

I have a much better name. If anyone wants to use it, we can work something out. I'll trade it to you for a lifetime supply of Apriyums.

No comments: