October 31, 2006

Brief Adventures in Online Dating

I like browsing the personal ads on Yahoo. Fun way to waste time. The company only allows you to browse a few of them before requiring you to fill your own profile, which I first did a year ago, starting an electronic duel between us that continues today.

What happens is that I fill out a profile with a multi-paragraph description. Yahoo grants me access for a few days while they review my profile. They review my profile. Then they reject it. Always. Which is fine, because by then I'm no longer interested in looking at ads. A few months pass by, I get curious again, fill out a profile, and...

I have yet to crack the Yahoo code. If I was seriously looking for a date, I'd be very frustrated. I'm on profile #7 now. Yahoo just doesn't like me. And I let them know in my latest profile, sent two days ago:

Intro: Yahoo doesn't like me

Description: I don't know why. It keeps rejecting my profiles. I understand the need for standards, but if they're going to block my profile just because I mention my crack pipe selling business, they should mention it beforehand. Okay, they did send me an email saying, "STOP WRITING ABOUT CRACK PIPES!!!" but that was too little, too late.

Today, I logged into my Yahoo email account, clicked on my Yahoo New Email button, and saw that I got an email from my friends at Yahoo. Yay! Guess what they had to say? We could not approve your profile.

The reason:
Your intro or description was not accepted because it does not contain enough personal information.

If telling potential mates about my home crack pipe business isn't personal information, what is? I suspect they are just peeved that I refer to them as Yahoo, and not Yahoo! I'm sorry, Yahoo!, but besides the grammatical monstrosity including it would cause in almost every sentence, you don't own the exclamation point. It's not yours. Punctuation belongs to the people, not to a deliriously-perky company that attempts to cover its tortured soul with a glassy-eyed happiness that invokes an uncomfortable resemblance to the Church of Scientology.

I got to put that in my next profile.

No comments: