November 03, 2004

Kerry Concedes

The number of provisional ballots isn't enough to give him a victory. I'm glad he conceded now rather than later.

Is it possible for a person who doesn't mention God in every other sentence to win the Presidency? Our history says no. I think the tactic for secularists and progressive religious people is not to combat religion but to change the discussion on what it means to be a good religious person. Kerry went for this angle very late in the campaign, with comments like, "Words without deeds have no meaning."

I think combining liberal ideals with religion can be a very effective tactic. It's atrocious the way politicans who regularly profess their devotion to God construct policies that hurt the poor in the country and eschew changes like raising the minimum wage, which there is a lot of good evidence would help the country as a whole.

In fact, I think this is a large part of the reason why Barack Obama energizes so many people. He combines the two eloquently. His speech during the Democratic Convention still gives me chills: "I am my brother's keeper."

What better combination of religion and liberalism is there?

No comments: