November 03, 2004

At least...

...the Daily Show will be hilarious for the next four years.

...um, Bushisms, Vol. 3?

I'm out of ideas. Anyone?

After the 2000 election, I shrugged my shoulders and said, "Well, maybe he'll do a decent job."

Now I'm just depressed. I had a horrible night of sleep. Most people weren't enthusiastic about voting for Kerry as opposed to voting against Bush, but I was. In my heart, I truly believe he would have made a great President. His commitment to public service over his life is much greater than most politicians. He would have brought Republicans into his administration and likely have helped bridge the divide in this country.

I'll give Bush a second chance. Maybe "I'm a uniter, not a divider" the sequel will do better than the original. Maybe things in Iraq will turn around, the Republican Congress will make fiscally responsible decisions, and we will find diplomatic solutions to the growing problem of Iran and North Korea.

But it won't surprise anyone to know that I don't think hope is on the way.

The true test of Democrats and progressives is how we respond to this loss. Do we lash out at each other, scapegoat the campaign, our strategy, gay marriage, voters who stayed home, the public itself, and so on? Do all of the celebrities, bloggers, first and long-time activists give up and let them rule without being checked? Or after we lick or wounds do we learn from our mistakes, improve our strategy and coalition and return as a force in 2006 and 2008?

I hope it's the latter. I strongly suspect, like most second term administrations, this one will be rocked by scandal. And if our country is still on a wobbly path two years from now, with a Republican-controlled Congress and presidency, maybe voters will be more open to holding those in power accountable.

No comments: