July 22, 2007

No Spoilers!

I bought a popular book at midnight on Friday, and finished reading it late last night. The title? I'm not telling. That would be a spoiler. Unlike lesser publications like the New York Times, Pancake City likes children and is 100% spoiler-free. Did I like it? Maybe. Maybe not. I shall not risk tainting anyone's experience by offering my opinion on it.

The previous sentence does not mean it is an experience that one would want to be untainted, and it doesn't mean one wouldn't want it untainted either. Also, as you can tell, double negatives are great for covering all your spoiler bases.

Here is my story about why I am fervently anti-spoiler. Over eight years ago, I went to see Citizen Kane with a good friend of mine. Right before the movie started, I spoiled the ending for her, assuming that she knew it already. What is worse is that I had the ending spoiled for me after reading a Washington Post movie review of it that said, "By now, everyone knows that...[famous ending that I didn't know]"

I felt guilty that I stole from her the pleasure of making that discovery on her own. From that day, I do my best not to even drop hints when someone asks about the plot of a movie, TV show, or plot. If someone really wants that information, they can find it easily somewhere else.

2 comments:

Chip Chanko said...

I'm almost through...about 60 more pages...I have to say the addition of the Charles Foster Kane character threw me for a loop.

Jason said...

Yeah. And the laser missile battle at the end--WTF?

Chip Chanko--I like it.