December 08, 2007

Best Album of 2007?

I could easily find 100 good candidates for Song of the Year, but Album of the Year is much different. I tend to listen to singles or will just download 2-3 songs from an artist rather than the whole album, so I don't have many candidates to choose from.

My favorite album, which I'm surprised isn't even on most people's Top 10 lists, is All Hour Cymbals by Yeasayer. "2080" is crazy good and the rest of the album is repeat-worthy as well. I've listened to the entire album a few dozen times and am still enjoying it.

The rest of my list will be unsurprising to people who likes indie pop \ rock. I was hesitant to make a "Best of the Year" list at all because there's not much here that's interesting if you keep up with this type of music.

All Hour Cymbals / Yeasayer
The Flying Club Cup / Beirut
Andorra / Caribou
Night Falls Over Kortedala / Jens Lekman
Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga / Spoon
Ghettoblaster / Socalled
Mice Parade / Mice Parade

From the “Wish I Heard About in 2006″ club:
Night Ripper / Girl Talk
The Dusty Foot Philosopher / K’Naan

Other stuff: I like a lot of songs on Arcade Fire's "Neon Bible", but I haven't listened to the entire album enough to stand by it. I just downloaded "In Rainbows" by Radiohead and am enjoying it so far, which is something because I'm not a big Radiohead fan (sacrilege!)

I also finally listened to M.I.A.'s "Kala", an alum that seems to appear on every Top 10 list out there. It's good, especially "Jimmy" and "Paper Planes", but at the same time I don't quite get why so many people are in love with it.

Okay, your turn. Jim, Meghan, other fans of music: what are your Best Albums of 2007?

2 comments:

Chip Chanko said...

I was going to say "I Am Not Afraid of You And I Will Beat Your Ass" but just realized that came out last year. My favorites this year were: Ratatat, Of Montreal, Battles, The Good The Bad and the Queen, Air, Arcade Fire, The Besnard Lakes, Gruff Rhys, Super Furry Animals, Blonde Redhead, Mum and Holland. Sigh. That's a lot.

Jason said...

I love "Wildcat" by Ratatat. I forgot about "Hissing Fauna" until you mentioned Of Montreal. I have it and it's very good, although I haven't listened to it in months. I want to check out the Air album sometime. I haven't heard of Mum and Holland before--will give them a listen.