July 19, 2005

Where the Hell Have I Been?

The problem with being absent is that the longer I didn't post, the better excuse I felt I needed. One week...just felt like taking a break. Two weeks...I went on vacation. To Botswana. Three weeks...I was, uh, working on a television pilot. For NBC. Called "Suck it, ABC." If you play the audio for the pilot backwards, you can hear "You too, CBS" repeated.

And there's my stand-by excuse for the past month: working on a freelance project.
MOM: "Jason, are you coming over for dinner this dinner?"
ME: "Can't. Freelance project."

ROOMMATE: "Hey, do you think you could clean the bathroom? Mushrooms are growing out of the tile."
ME: "Wish I could. Freelance project."

STORE MANAGER: "Are you going to pay for that?"
ME: [running] "Freelance project. See you later."

There is some truth to the claim. I am working on a freelance writing project. The problem is, I have little motivation for finishing it because it allows me to rationalize every possible pleasant or unpleasant behavior.

Bowl of ice-cream? Need a break from my freelance project. Read a book? Gotta keep motivated for the freelance project. Cook dinner? Don't have time--freelance project. Better eat out.

What got me to write a blog entry is that writing finally worked its way in my long list of excuses, barely muscling out "Watch an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force" and "Contribute to
Tower of Laundry".

I'm going to try getting back to semi-regular blog entries. The orgy of pleasure and self-indulgence I've been on the past few weeks has been fun, but it also made my life feel a little empty.

So the blog entries will resume! Right after I finish my freelance project.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been a fan of your blog for a while now. I got an interesting perspective on it today.

http://sites.gizoogle.com/?url=http://www.1001words.com

ha ha

if you're wondering who I am and how I found your blog, go to
www.benkassem.net/benkassem.html

you'll figure it all out

Jason said...

Hey Carolyn,

I'm using that translator page for my next resume.

I'm flattered that you read my web page. Your kitchen remodeling project looks like it's straight out of Trading Spaces.

Anonymous said...

Ahem. I thought we were promised new blog entries. Show me the entries! And don't try any "funny" stuff: new comments <> new entries.

Anonymous said...

"Semi-regular" blog entries makes me think that you need some more fiber in your diet. Or less.

Not sure.